Potatoes: when to dig

cynthianovakMay 14, 2012

When do you dig your?

I had 2 plants flower at least a month ago. I planted in early Feb. I kept adding light soil.

I dug under one of the plants who had flowered and easly found 2 taters. I assume there are more down deeper.

Here's the problem. I have a raised bed 2 cinder blocaks tall.

Because I have a digging dog, I put coated wire on the very top. To dig the potatoes out, I will need to make the decision and tear off the tops of the plants.

Soooo, when would you do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I don't know, I've been wondering that myself, this is the first year I've tried to grow potatoes. I've had one plant flower, but the rest haven't. Mine are in "pots" (one's an actual pot, the other's a large storage box) so I could just dump them out, but.... I'm thinking that I should wait until the plants start to die? Maybe?

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 5:33PM
cynthianovak

That's what I read. I really need to "dig" into this to understand 'taters better. Apparantly there is something that happens as the plant dies back. One source said to cut the plant back and wait a few days to mimic the plant death....but didn't say why.

While only a few actually flowered, and they look the most weary and even brown, the others aren't far behind.

I'm wishing mine were in an actual pot that I could tip over rather than this raised bed.....grins
c

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 10:11PM
cynthianovak

I dug 1/2 of mine this morning. I added more soil for layers of 'taters. Those on the bottom were fill your palm size. Those just above were fill index finger to thumb size. Those on the top were pea size. They were all red lakoda (sp).

c

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 3:11PM
queenb(z8b East TX)

I've always dug mine after the tops die off, but if you want smaller potatoes, like to boil whole in beans, etc., you can do a test dig to see if they're about the size you need. Generally, anything planted in Feb-March tends to start dying off about June.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 6:04PM
lizzieshome

I was always told when the plants start to look limp and falling over that it was time to dig. I dug mine yesterday. All nice sized.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Anyone Recognize This Cutie Beauty?
found it today, can't remember where it came from!
sylviatexas2
Coral honeysuckle
Will this be easier to find in the next month or so,...
franksmom_2010
Crepe Myrtle Transplating - Houston Area
Hi, I originally thought about posting this in the...
BirkdaleSteve
Native Plant Suggestions
This both a gardening and a social issue. I have a...
Redthistle
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
Sponsored Products
Rosle Potato Masher
$50.00 | FRONTGATE
NM Chocolate-Coated Corn Twists & Potato Crisps
$55.00 | Horchow
Extra-Coarse Grater
$12.99 | zulily
Swiss Truffle Potato Pie
$75.00 | Horchow
V-shaped Mandoline Slicer and 4-piece Cheese Grater Set
Overstock.com