Spring early?

maifleur01February 3, 2010

For what ever it is worth several of the birds are already singing their mating songs. According to a calender that I have chickadees are supposed to start this week. They are also supposed to be the first bird to sing. However my cardinals and some of the crew have been singing since the second week of January.

I am tired of cold and winter. Hurry up spring but let it be a long one since I do not deal well with 90-100+ with humidity over 80%.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Yesterday, I saw male wild turkey strutting around with his wings out to impress a lady turkey nearby. Does your calendar have turkeys on it?
We still have a little bit of snow on the ground here that we got over the weekend. We're getting some sleet now. It doesn't feel like spring is on the way but I hope so.

Bookmark   February 4, 2010 at 1:15PM
maifleur01

March 14 for wild turkeys. The calendar I use is the one put out by the Missouri Conservation Department. It is a great use of our taxes.

Other than the birds doing their mating songs it feels like we may have the traditional 2 weeks of spring this year. Winter, then slightly warmer for 2 weeks, the hot hot summer.

Bookmark   February 4, 2010 at 10:17PM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

The Cardinals here in west Mi are changing their tune too. We are to get another 10 to 12 inches this week UUUUGGGG. But spring IS on the way!

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 12:16AM
terryr(z5a IL)

We got dumped on about 8" yesterday and thru the night. Today is supposed be possibly another 5". It just keeps snowing and snowing.....

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 6:11PM
maifleur01

I saw at the BBC site that in many parts of the world the seasons since 1976 have advanced 3.9 days per decade. Soon, many years from now, summer will be the season that it is the coldest.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
Water Wiggler?
I'm setting up a garden in my small urban backyard....
hgalindo
What to do with a territorial Mocking bird?!
I have a Mocking bird who chases every bird that comes...
armyyife
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™