invasives from hell

ireneoApril 8, 2008

the fence at the back of our small yard is covered in invasives... deeply with porcelainberry, also a rosa multiflora and a tree of heaven. there is also something that appears later in the summer that looks like mile a minute or hedge bindweed.

last spring we cleaned the entire fence of growing vines (and im talking at least 5 years worth, probably a lot lot more) and swept the earth on our side of the property for all the viney roots.

we were good for a little while but eventually the weeds just took over again, namely from the other side of the fence that has a private social club's lawn on it.

i hate to use herbicides, especially since we live so near the coast, but i don't know what to do. help?

irene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
junem

A stirrup hoe can be used in areas where the plants like vegetables are grown in a line. It has a hoop in the shape of a square or circle. The hoe cuts the seedlings and can also uproot them. This helps in ensuring that the weeds do not emerge again. But in places where the weeds are growing quite close to the main plants, you need to remove them by hand as there is a chance of damage by the hoe.

Mulch is also effective in reducing weed growth. It works by preventing the sunlight from reaching the soil thus inhibiting any growth of weeds. Clippings of grass, branches, hay and other degradable substances like leaves and barks can be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Weed Control

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 7:38AM
More Discussions
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
ID weed, please
After living here 45 years, this plant (weed) began...
hottea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™