Raccoons trying to get into the attic again!

paulsiu(5a)March 16, 2011

Last year, a raccoon managed to get into the attic, I hired an animal guy who trapped the animal. After that, I reinforced the soffit with some plywood and bricks.

This year, I notice that my aluminum siding is damaged. Raccoons probably attempted to get in by peeling the sidings. Will these pest never stop :-(.

I was thinking of installing a battery power alarm near where they attempt to get in. I am afraid of waking the neighbors though, so I wonder if a motion sensing battery light is going to work or will the raccoon just ignore that?

Alternatively, I was thinking of stuffing some razor or barb wire where they keep trying to get in to discourage them from trying.

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulsiu(5a)

Well, in my area, professionally trapped raccoons are automatically destroyed. This is why I tried not to call an animal guy.

The barb wire is not to harm the raccoon, but to discourage it from trying to get at the attic. The gardening guy said it is unlikely to work since they figure some way to remove it. I cut down the branches near my house, which probably does not prevent them climbing up the drain pipe, but it's now more difficult. I also remove all food from the area.

The coyote's occasional night visits seems to help (I think raccoons are probably afraid of coyotes), but he or she does not visit enough

Paul

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 1:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gracie01(z5 IL)

If you have access to your attic, put a radio up there tuned to an all talk channel; that's what my neighbors do.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Sponsored Products
Raccoon Vent Duster
$7.99 | zulily
Sweet Jojo Designs Unisex 'Woodland Forest Animals' 3-piece Full/Queen Comforter
Overstock.com
Landmann Big Sky 29.25 in. Round Black Wildlife Fire Pit - 28347
$129.98 | Hayneedle
Ourpets Company Play N Squeak Squeaking Raccoon Cat Toy - 0860-8523
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Tree Face Solar Raccoon Figurine
$24.99 | zulily
Landmann Big Sky Wildlife Fire Pit - 28337
$129.98 | Hayneedle
Plush Raccoon Skinneez Dog Toy - 687604
$11.99 | Hayneedle
Raccoon & Branch Wall D├ęcor