I don't know whether anyone cares about this, but

Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)May 27, 2012

there is no flower called impatients or impatience. It's impatiens. I would never correct anyone directly, and maybe nothing will change, but I like to know the right name for plants because sometimes you have to look them up and it's just helpful. I like to know the name of anything that has a name, but with plants it sometimes matters more.

Okay, carry on. Don't hate me for being bold enough to post about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

Glad you got that off your chest! I think that we all knew that it was impatiens. I find that when I google a misspelled name, I can still find what I'm looking for :-)

Pam

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 1:19PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

It was years before I realized that impatiens was not spelled like it sounds. I thought they were named that because they were 'impatient' to bloom, especially since a common name for them is "Busy Lizzie". I figured since they are were always covered in flowers they came by that name naturally being that they are so busy and just couldn't wait to bloom :-) Oh well, live and learn. It was a nice story in my mind anyway.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 2:35PM
ocgf(Z8)

Yes, Ma'am. Some of us do care and we stand corrected. Please don't be impatiens. :D

Omar

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 2:49PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Omar, you are so funny.................

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 4:29PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

Pam, I know lots of people do know that there's no 't', but lots don't. I see it more that way than the other, even on signs in nurseries.
If it doesn't bother you, then you're a lucky web user.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 4:34PM
bossjim1

I don't care. Anyone who spells as bad as I do, couldn't even post if it wasn't for spell check. As long as it's close enough for me to get the drift of what the person is talking about, I'm good. What is actually more confusing to me are very common names that are used for several completely different plants, like 'Butterfly bush', Firecracker plant', 'Bird of paradise', or 'Shrimp plant'. With these, I like to include the botanical name, or at least give a description so people will not have to guess which plant I'm talking about.

Jim

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 4:43PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

Yeah, I noticed there is a butterfly bush and also a butterfly weed. As far as I can tell, they are completely different plants. I don't like long names like Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. I'd rather see brunfelsia, even if it's spelled wrong. Of course, YTT also works for me, but I don't know how many folks know what that is.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 4:54PM
melvalena

I'm with the Boss and Pam on this one. No one is going to die or get maimed because the name of a plant is misspelled here on a casual gardening forum. I have to really really try hard to misspell something so bad that google can't figure out what I'm looking for!

We could always delve into there vs their and here vs hear if we're going to get all picky, but it is so much easier and much more pleasant for everyone to just over look it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 5:10PM
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

I am not at all bothered by mis-spelled names, but it really, really bugs me when the plant LABEL has only a common name or cultivar name....no botanical, grrrrrrr!

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:29PM
phasv2(Zone 7)

I thought it was common knowledge. I'd have to say that, so far, the only thing that really bothers me about gardening is that I have SO much to learn! I find myself browsing catalogs, and then looking up items I'm interested in for hours. I just don't like planting something, and then finding out later that the reason it didn't work out is because I did it wrong.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:48PM
freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)

re: jardineratx's zero botanical . . .

My peeve is when the label says "4-inch annual". Seriously? That's all you can give me?

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 11:03PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I think we have all learned that when the label says "full sun", it does NOT mean full TEXAS sun. I was a really quick study on that one.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 8:32AM
dogwind(Z8a TX)

you're right. I don't care

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 6:28PM
ogrose_tx

Nope, I don't care either, got other things to worry about...

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Spring spots on Oleander Leaves
Hello Garden Forum.. I have an Oleander that has emerged...
rrtxgardener
big box store "sale rack"
ran into a great deal on dianthus and phlox, all past...
ingridjill
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Isn't milkweed a perennial?
I started several plants last summer from seed and...
random_harvest
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Sponsored Products
Bruck | T Remote Transformer- T-300/277v
$302.24 | YLighting
Grommet-top Thermal Insulated 120-inch Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Emerson Ottoman - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
"Boullion" Finials Set of Two
$80.00 | Horchow
All in One Camera
| Dot & Bo