Weed Be Gone Max and Trees

missymarApril 19, 2009

I feel so bad! Last spring, I planted a 4 ft. tall Japanese Red Maple in my front yard, and the leaves came in so beautiful, red, & full this spring. But being the big dummy, non-green thumb having person that I am, sprayed some Ortho Weed Be Gone Max in the area that surrounds the base of the Maple last weekend. The next day, a lot of the leaves, especially on the bottom were darkened & curled in. The whole tree looks a bit droopy now and the curled in leaves haven't begun to 'bounce back'.... Did I kill my tree or is it just in a temporary shock stage? It's been 8 days...... :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Only time will tell.

Think this is one of the live-and-learn lessons of gardening.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 6:29PM
missymar

Update: Don't use Weed Be Gone Max around any plants, bushes or ornamental trees. My Red Maple survived, tho' some of the leaves on the bottom died, the tree is still alive. 2yr. old boxwoods - dead, 1 yr. old azaleas - dead, flowers that were planted ~ the timeframe of the Ortho. Max usage - dead. I live & I learn!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 4:59PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Maples are shallow rooted. Wind drift can toast leaves that receive just a small amount of product. Use mulch, not product. SPOT treat weeds if you must for control. Less is more.
hortster

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 9:17PM
comptegrity_hotmail_com

I may have made the same mistake, but worse.

I just sprayed WBG on what I thought was a rather large weed coming out of the base of the trunk of our tree, only to discover that it is a a young branch with fresh leaves.

The tree is well-established and stands about 10ft. I can't tell you what kind it is, only that it's at least 20yr.s old and stands strong.

Have I started a slow death for this tree, or is there something I can do to prevent any damage?

Thank you...

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 3:42PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I would cut the branch off as low as possible or as flush to the branch collar as possible, ASAP, to (again, as much as possible) prevent the product from entering the rest of the tree.
hortster

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™