What to plant for Migrating Birds?

edlincoln(6A)March 12, 2014

Any thoughts as to what to plant for migrating birds in New England? What would be passing through here when, and what blooms around then?

I like the idea of finding things that produce berries right when certain species of migrating birds are passing through.

Might be possible to do the same thing with flowers for hummingbirds and butterflies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shillanorth Z4 AB

Although I`m not familiar with your area or climate you could consider mulberry, mountain ash and viburnum for berry producing trees/shrubs. For hummingbirds and butterflies, there are lots of salvias, fuchsia, monarda, foxgloves etc that would do well for you. Check out the Hummingbird Garden and Bird watching Forums. There are plenty of knowledgeable and friendly folks there who could give you lots of suggestions more specific to your locale.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lecorbeau(7b)

I'm not in your area, but I like your question. Here's a link with an overwhelming amount of information for the northeast part of the country. (See link at bottom)

Here's their page for the whole country: http://www.metrofieldguide.com/resources/landscape-for-wildlife-2/landscape-for-wildlife/all-regions/

I'm definitely going to check out the page for my region too.

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape for Wildlife: Northeast

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™