Tomato Blossoms Dry Up

sanrocJune 24, 2009

My container tomato plant has several blooms, however, each bloom is immediately drying up. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suze9(z8b Bastrop Co., TX)

Tomato season is winding down in many parts of Texas (esp. central and south) - a little earlier than usual this year because of the heatwave and drought.

Blossom drop can be caused by a number of things, but in your case, it is most likely due to the unrelenting heat we've been experiencing both day/night. What can happen is that extended duration of heat kills (denatures) the pollen, so the blooms do not pollinate. Then they dry up and fall off.

Night temps matter even more than day temps, and because it has now been hot for so long w/o any let up, we aren't getting coolish nights any more.

If the plant still looks fairly healthy, move it to a more shady spot, and shake it every day. The shaking can sometimes help a little with pollination. However, it won't work miracles if the pollen is already denatured.

A good siting might be to move it where it gets good morning sun, but some shade the rest of the day. Like maybe on the east side of a tree or tall structure. Good luck.

Btw, now would be a good time to take some cuttings from your plant and root them for a fall crop.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 8:40PM
billtex(8atx)

Sanroc, i dont know the varities of toms you planted, but in tx. you need to get toms that set fruit well in heat, like homestead, manalucie,costoluto genovese,c-tex, porter etc.these all set fruit well in zone 8. hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 8:49AM
billtex(8atx)

Sanroc, i dont know the varities of toms you planted, but in tx. you need to get toms that set fruit well in heat, like homestead, manalucie,costoluto genovese,c-tex, porter etc.these all set fruit well in zone 8. hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™