HelpTree of Heaven Education

hotpepper(6b/7 NJ)April 14, 2006

Hey Guys I'm pretty new to the Gardenweb Forums so give me a break if need be!

Tree of heaven!

I don't know if it's because of my family being from Brooklyn NYC or the what, but nobody ( and I mean nobody

) in my family knows how to grow anything, nor knows about anything vegetative.

When I was growing up through my teen and preteen years, whenever I would go through strolls in the woods, Construction areas or some parks I would always notice these weeds. I didn't know what they were, but for some reason they fascinated me. I still picture this purple stemmed weed about a couple feet tall, It seems the next week it was taller than my 6 foot fence, Then the next the greaking Stem turned into a trunk with Bark! I was like What the hell? is this a tree or a weed? Then i started to notice them along all the highways and in overgrown yards/fields. Some had green berries, some had red berries! sometimes it flowered! I don;t know much about trees and plants so forgive me if I seem uneducated on the matter. It just amazed me that these things grew so big. Nobody I knew ever knew what they were. I just got "weeds man" or "Just trees" It almost seemed like nobody cared.

Now 10-15 years later I was Scrolling accross this page ( http://www.invasive.org/weeds.cfm ) somehow. I don;t know how I got there or why, but i spent hours!!!! THen after a couple hours It hit me let me find out what this sucker is! SO I searced and finally matched pictures with my memories. WHo would have known it was sooo infamous! Also Giant hogweed seems interesting to me too. No I don't want to grow these plants and ruin everyones gardens within 2000 miles. But i'd like to read about them, their origins and what in G-ds green earth helps them grow so fast? ( does anything grow faster than bamboo? ) If someone can point me to a book or webpage about weeds in the Northeast. ( im in central New Jersey ) what zone am I in? lol/ Thanks guys, Hope you liked my little story!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
divahethr(7b)

Tree of Heaven is the tree they are talking about in "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn"
I enjoyed your story. There are i presume many that wonder about the things that you mentioned about plants etc. I can't ride in a car without watching the weeds on the roadside. Of course i try not to do it when i'm driving. NJ has bamboo planted on their invasive species list--broke my heart...it's probably on everyone's list!
http://www.npsnj.org/invasive_species_0103.htm

Good luck in your search

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plant Society New Jersey

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™