Nest in Bird House but I am moving

lmduncanMarch 17, 2012

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have had a birdhouse on my patio forever and never has a bird used it before, so it was pretty much for looks. Well, my lease is up at the end of April and I will be moving. However, today I saw that a bird has made a nest in there. My room-mate told me she thought she saw a robin fly out of it. Any chance it will be gone by the end of April?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Robins don't nest in boxes. See if you can ID the bird they all have different nesting timetables. Depending on the bird it may be gone by then. What does the nest look like/ made of?

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 12:43PM
lmduncan

Well, it's in one of those wooden birdhouse, the link below shows a pic of what it pretty much looks like

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/878834/878834000561xl.jpg

The actual nest is mostly made of pine straw and dead leaves and takes up most of the interior space. I'm not really sure how else to describe it. I haven't actually seen the bird myself. I live in Raleigh NC if that is any help.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 1:13PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If there are no eggs in the bird house, just dump the contents and pack it away. I would do that today. Birds will move and rebuild.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 12:48PM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Not if it's a Native bird protected by law!

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 4:03PM

If the nest is 'under construction' and has NO EGGS and NO CHICKS it is legal to get rid of it. At that point, it is simply a bundle of straw, sticks, mud, and/or whatever. Such a nest falls into the category of being an 'inactive nest'...no eggs or chicks.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 12:19PM
lmduncan

Alright everyone, thanks! I think I may have accidentally scared it off by looking in it. There was no bird in the nest last night unless it has more than one nest (I don't know if that's possible but just a guess). I will take it down; the actual bird house has sentimental value to me so I would hate to leave it. In all the three years I've lived here, never before has a bird even started a nest in it (as it's in a very busy area), so I was surprised.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 6:33PM

Most birds don't sleep in a nest or even sit in one, unless it has eggs or babies. Nests are pretty much used as 'cradles', so to speak.

Be sure to empty the birdhouse out and clean it carefully. Birds are soooooo buggy. And if you empty the contents out in the open somewhere, everything will be quickly recycled to other birds' nest.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
lizard jumped in my window running from hawk help
A huge 10 inch lizard jumped in my window to escape...
Wild Haired Mavens
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
Sponsored Products
Dogit Nylon Adjustable Snap Collar - D0121
$10.99 | Hayneedle
Savoy House Maremma Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
"Echo I" Abstract Painting - MULTI COLORS
$340.00 | Horchow
TroposAir Down Rods 36 in. Pure White Extension Downrod 402
$20.00 | Home Depot
Yellow Happy Owl Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily