1. Landscape help. Front yard ^.^

chriswanderer90(7)March 5, 2013

Hi:

I live 20mi NW of Philly (zone 7?).

I have a front yard that is greatly recessed and it collects a lot of rainwater, but it flows out into some tunnel.

Does anyone have any creative landscaping ideas? I'm trying to do native gardening as Sara Stein calls it.

I was thinking about putting a pond there so that frogs could breed.. But I don't know how much I'd have to dig..

Thanks,
Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

The first thing you need to do is to check with your local Soil & Water Management to see if they would let you put a pond there. The second thing to check is your local code to see how deep an unfenced pond can be.

tj

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:44PM
chriswanderer90(7)

Thanks Tj, that was very helpful.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:52PM
Dee67

I agree with tsugajunkie. In my opinion, I would scrap the pond idea in that area. if it is consistently wet that may get into a lot of 'what ifs", like water under the liner (if you built it that way), runoff laced with pesticides, existing underground piping & what not. What you could do, if you want to keep it natural looking & if it's consistently wet/damp, is plant some cattails, water iris, rushes & reed grasses. The frogs don't need much water to breed in. I've seen the in puddles during the wet spring season.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:01PM
chriswanderer90(7)

Maybe the pond idea is too much.. My dog poops and pees all over the lawn, and I don't know what that will do to the run-off basin...

Nearby, there is another runoff basin with a ton of cattails.. I guess that's what the local water authority does.. And there are a ton of frogs there in breeding season, and then they seem to jump into the sewer to hibernate..

Are cattails native to PA?

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 5:06PM
Dee67

They are in all the wetlands. Native? Not sure but they have been around forever. they are native now, :)

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 12:34AM
rbrady(5/Eastern Ia)

How about a Rain Garden if it stays consistently moist or you could just put a flower bed in that area with natives that can handle seasonal flooding. I would be wary of planting cattails-they can be "vigorous".

Rhonda

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:06PM
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska(5)

How about Cardinal Flower? I hear they like wet feet and would have color.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:33PM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

Cardinal flower will draw hummingbirds for sure and they can tolerate not being wet all the time as well.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 7:29AM
momliz(7a VA)

definitely a Rain Garden which could be beautiful, a haven for birds, butterflies and pollinators of all sorts, and will help the Chesapeake Bay. Check these out:

http://www.rainscaping.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm

http://www.lowimpactdevelopment.org/raingarden_design/index.htm

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™