Preventing Weeds from Neighbour

mudgodMay 31, 2012

I have neighbours on both sides that have a lot of weeds (creeping charlie, violets, chickweeds etc). These have over time invaded my yard.

I want to prevent that in the future. The solution I've come up with is to put in some kind of edging (the metal kind sold at home depot etc)and erect a wood fence touching the ground or metal edging. After that kill and reseed the yard.

Is this the best way to go about it, are there better ways to prevent incursion from neighbouring yards?

Also this is the side and back yard. The sidewalk has grass that extends past the neighbours and builds up the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

In spite of the fence, and the do-over, you'll likely need to repeat the do-over every several years.

Violets fling their seeds to 8 or more feet away from parent plant.
Stuff blows in.
Birds drop stuff.
People and animals trek in stuff.

No way possible to have a pristine lawn.

Selective weed-killers are available to kill all weeds you've mentioned because they are broadleaved plants. Grass is a narrowleaf plant

Or start over, then remain vigilant for the few as they appear.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:07AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Agreed. Upon further investigation, I think you'll find that it's not good (rot) for a wood fence to touch the ground. A barrier that extends from below the surface up beyond the bottom of the fence would be easier to maintain and the fence should last longer.

Well I just looked at your pic to see what specific observations could be made and realize it's not a flower bed you're trying to protect. You don't have to subscribe to the "a lawn is one type of grass with nothing else growing in it" idea unless you want to. Good luck either way!

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:01PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Those seeds from those unwanted plants will be brought in to you yard from places far beyond you next door neighbors and will land and germinate in your yard.
You can spend a lot of money, time, and energy "getting rid" of those unwanted plants, poisoning the world you live in while doing that, or work at growing a good, healthy turf that can aid in preventing these "weeds" from growing.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™