Planning my next habitat garden...in spite of snow!!

matt_v(Z5 central NY)March 1, 2006

Greetings! I was hoping to get some inspiration for this season, and Spring seems so far away. However, I think I found the cure..? I updated my website and added my 2005 achievements, as well as a 2005 Blooms section. Some folks might not have visited before, or forgot about my page. So, just in case:

goto www.fickity.net

click ENTER

page down and select YARD AND GARDEN

page down and hit 2005. Or, begin with 2000 if its your first time?

My page documents how I transformed an old goldenrod field into a haven for Birds and wildlife. Lots of landscaping and growing!! Also, MANY Bird photos!!

Enjoy!! I hope this serves to psyche you up for spring...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gaylams

Matt,

That is soooo beautiful, and I already had spring fever. Now look at what you have done. HA! We have had a few days in the 70's, so I really have the bug now. I put a new pond in last year, so I'm adding a butterfly/hummingbird garden around it as this year's project. Please show more pics of the pond and new bird garden.

gayla in Mississippi

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 11:46AM
slowlane(7)

Matt, what amazing progress you've made in a short amount of time! Thanks so much for the update and the "history." I've been wanting to undertake a similiar project for some time now and have felt overwelmed at the prospect, but your "process" pics give me confidence to try it myself.

Gayla, I'm in Mississippi, too--up near MSU, at the moment, but I spend a lot of my time on the coast. Maybe we can compare notes :)

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 1:05PM
matt_v(Z5 central NY)

Greetings! Thanks friends!! You can see my pond as it was constructed under 2002 and 2003. I will take more images, usually I concentrate on the frogs, toads, dragonflies, treefrogs, and peepers I attract! I don't know if I'll do a new bed this year or not, I think my main goal is to plant many bird-friendly shrubs in the new acquisition property. I have my eye on Buffaloberry (Shepherdia), Coralberry (Symphoricarpos), Silverberry (Eleagnus, a native one) and Sea Berry. I will document all that I do...

THANKS!!

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 7:11PM
gaylams

Ilove the pond pics. I am a pond and stream fool and love looking at how to improve my set-up. My goal is a wildlife habitat, but I am especially fond of birds which is why I put the pond in in the first place. This year I plan to plant a hummingbird/butterfly garden around the edges of my pond.

Slowlane - I'm near Jackson. We had surprisingly a lot of damage from Katrina considering how far inland we are. Nothing like the coast, of course.

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 10:59AM
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

Wonderful pics and text, thanks for sharing!

Ellen

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 12:43PM
slowlane(7)

Gaylams, I think the whole state took damage from the storm. I'm 250 miles inland, and we lost the tops out of several trees, a tv, microwave, computer and game system to electrical surges (so much for surge protectors :P and were without power for four days. But as you say, I can't complain when I look at what happened on the coast.

I'm just starting on flowers and hardscape in my yard--partly because of the "thinning" we got during Katrina. I have more sun now. I'm working on a butterfly/breakfast area first and will branch out from there.

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 7:48PM
candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)

I really enjoyed the odyssey. I have spring fever also. Spent the day outside, pruning trees and cleaning up edges. We're redoing our landscaping. Put in a butterfly garden last year and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with it this year. Had lots of butterflies and hummingbird moths. A new phenomenon for me. We planted a crimson cloud hawthorn because I couldn't find a cockspur which was what I wanted, but now I'm not sure Hawthornes belong here. Yours didn't make it?

Thanks for the display. Look forward to updates.

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 6:19PM
matt_v(Z5 central NY)

Greetings! We lost our Winter King Hawthorne to a bad dig and transplant. It got borer infested, and I removed it. Hawthornes generally do quite well here. You see them all over Skaneateles, Camillus, and lining the entrance to the old Chase-Pitkin on Taft Rd in Liverpool. If you can't find a local source for Washington Hawthorne, I know Musser Forests has them. Good Luck!! In 5 years, I have recorded 142 Yard Birds and 27 Butterfly species as a result of habitat gardening!!

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Sponsored Products
Ceramic Dot Vase in Bronze
Grandin Road
Manger Scene Mini Figurine Set
$6.99 | zulily
Nourison Hand-tufted Heritage Hall Lacquer Rug
Overstock.com
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home and Garden Pavilion Light Blue 5' 3" x 7'
$99.97 | Home Depot
Lithophane Luminaire Mermaids Lamp
$115.90 | Bellacor
30" Treated Pine Traditional Garden Bench with Back
Fifthroom.com
Henri Studio Grande Barrington Three-Tier Fountain
Lamps Plus
Solar Goes Green Path & Landscape Lights Solar Powered Black Outdoor Spot Light
$85.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™