flax seeds for birds?

april_50(Thumb of MI)March 21, 2007

Hello All,

I have a question about flax seed. Someone gave me flax seeds from a health food store. Since I try not to eat healthy foods, could I feed these seeds to the birds? We have cardinals, chickadee, and the usual backyard gang.

Thanks,

April

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vonyon

April, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that if you grind them up and add them to things you are baking and such, you will not notice the taste and they are good fiber. They are also supposed to lower cholesterol, but my limited understanding of it is that heat destroys certain elements of that. I may be wrong though.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 10:07PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yes, you can feed it to your birds. It's a common ingredient in bird seed mixes for indoor birds, too.

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 3:55PM
birding_nut(6)

You could also try planting some of them and have some beautiful blue flowers in late spring/early summer. Then leave the seed heads for the birds to eat.

BN

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 2:48PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Flax seed is very high in magnesium, zinc, iron, vitamin E, carotene, B-group vitamins, calcium, sulfur, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, silicon, copper, nickel, molybdenum, chromium, and cobalt. Also, Omegas 3 and 6, as well as lignans that enhance the immune system. I used to feed it to all my pregnant and nursing mother hammies so mom AND babies could reap the benefits of the tiny grain. It has cancer prevention properties and as well, research suggests that it aids in the eye developement of fetal and newborn babies. In a pinch (when I was out of bird feeder seed) I would feed my home made hammy food to the birds and they didn't seem to mind the flax at all.

Any hammy owners out there? If you are, check out my home made hamster feed recipe. I buy all the ingredients at Bulk Barn and when hubby and I calculated it out, you save over 50% of the cost over the highest priced commercial brand seed mix and don't get all the crap seeds like corn and millet. Here's my link:

Barb's Home made Hamster Seed Mix

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 3:48AM
More Discussions
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Sponsored Products
Crystal Bakehouse Two-Light Wall Sconce in Silver Leaf Finish with Handcrafted,
Bellacor
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Westport Collection Antique Bronze 2-light P
Home Depot
Bronze Age Adjustable Floor Lamp
$229.99 | Dot & Bo
Wilmington Collection 14 1/2" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Birds in Glass Cloche Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Dover Outdoor Pendant by Troy Lighting
$652.00 | Lumens
Aston Medium Outdoor Wall Mount
$159.99 | Bellacor
Hummingbird Pocket Bottle & Brush Set