are this poison ivy seedlings?

coengMay 26, 2012

We just moved into our house last June. I had no poison ivy anywhere. Now these little buggers started popping up EVERYWHERE on my mulch beds around the house and property. What's the deal?

I started to spray them with Roundup Poison Ivy Killer yesterday. I did have some much larger and more established ones as well as one bunch that started to climb a tree and the bottom of one of my azaleas.

Why were those plants much larger than these seedlings? Unless these seedlings are not really poison ivy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruglover(Gulf States)

It looks a bit like Japanese honeysuckle to me. Does that grow where you live?

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 6:52PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm not at sure what these seedlings are, but i know for certain that they are not poison ivy.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:30AM
jeanne

Those are Cottonwood seedlings. Remember all those white fuzzies that were floating around a week or so ago? Those are the result of those fuzzies.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 6:59PM
coeng

Cottonwood seedlings? Maybe it was just a coincidence that I happened to find a nice length of poison ivy wrapping up the bottom of one of my azaleas right next to where these seedlings were.

There are so many of these seedlings everywhere. What's the best way to get rid of them? Pull them out or spray them?

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing these fuzzies flying around a local park just before the weekend. Since the wind was blowing, it literally looked like it was snowing.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 9:32AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Yes, coincidence. PI often comes up in the middle of shrubs or perennials since birds like to perch in/on them (and 'drop' all kinds of seeds.)

While they're that small, sprouts will easily come completely out. Spraying is for desperate situations where manual control has been attempted and failed, IMO. Also, tree sprouts are so numerous, small, and constant over a period of time that one would have to use an inordinately large amount of spray to deal with them over a large bed or yard with numerous beds.

I have one bed under an oak tree and for the past few weeks, there are oak sprouts to pull every day. When I lived in OH, it was silver maple and ash sprouts. It's just part of gardening. The more often you pull unwanted sprouts, the easier they are to pull and the fewer of them there are to pull at a time. Also, tree seedlings can become difficult to pull after just a few days. If you don't get the taproot, they can often keep trying, and digging in deeper. Tree sprouts are one type of "weed" that mulch just can't prevent.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 12:06PM
greggebullwinkel

Definitely not poison ivy seedlings.

Gregg E. Bullwinkel

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:59PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Yep, I think everyone agreed on that. Good to hear from a new person, though.

...still pulling 50-100 oak sprouts a day. I'm putting a sheet over that bed this fall, sheesh!

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™