How to Kill Henbit?!

taupe79(z5 Illinois)May 16, 2007

I have henbit that is taking over my rose bed. I am pulling it daily, but I work full time, and it's getting ahead of me! Is there any kind of weed killer that I can use on it that won't kill my roses that are in the same bed?! Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The only place I have a problem with Henbit is where the soil is bare. The areas with a good mulch do not allow the seeds to germinate. Never have bare, exposed soil in the garden. Always cover any soil with a mulch for fewer "weed" problems.

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 8:16AM
Dummyme

Henbit is a cool season weed that produces seeds in the fall. To kill henbit you have to treat with a pre-emergent in the fall to early spring. The best is Isoxaben, just follow the instructions on the container.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:05PM
kimpa(z6b PA)

I have found great results with covering the soil with 4 sheets of newspaper and then putting mulch on top. This blocks weeds from growing again and seeds from sprouting. But it stills allows water and air to get in.

Try a small area and see how you like it!

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:24AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

"To kill henbit you have to treat with a pre-emergent in the fall to early spring. "
No. A good mulch would be far better then any pre emergent plant poison, and much less expensive.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:37AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Is it really Henbit? Lamium purpureaum keeps getting ided as Lamium amplexicaule on these forums. Not that it makes much difference to the strategy. They're both annuals and can be forked out quite easily. Once that's done a think mulch will prevent the rest of the seeds germinating.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™