Garlic Mustard Seed Dispersal

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)May 10, 2013

I live in an area where the homes on my side of the street all back up to public land that is swampy woods that then backs up to the interstate. There are probably 30-40 acres of heavily wooded swamp and gently rolling hills. There is Garlic mustard growing in patches. My question is, How important is it to eradicate every clump vs just those that are just behind my property? Do the seeds blow significantly, or do they mostly drop and get carried by water or foot traffic? Or does anyone really know? TIA.

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Lots of info if you use your fav search engine w/ the search phrase "Garlic Mustard Seed Dispersal" (but no quote marks).

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 5:25PM
CaraRose

I'm pretty sure it disperses both through wind and by transport by humans and animals. Its a lightweight "stick" pod that has hundreds of seeds in it, so I'd assume small animals like squirrels or birds could also transport it.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:42AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

I pull this stuff out of my garden beds but I have given up trying to control the forest and roads. It would just stress me out too much. Same goes for dandelion and some other weeds. I've made peace with them.

You just sometimes can't control Mother Nature. I learned to enjoy the flowers out there and soon they are gone for the summer. Bye Bye...see you next year! Some years are better (or worse) than others. The only thing I actually go out and kill is poison ivy, but only where I walk or on my property.

I have enough stress with what goes on in my garden! lol.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
thistle help
For the last few years i have been battling thistles...
violet14
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Can you help me identify this weed?
It is growing in Atlanta, Georgia.
tigger033
Sponsored Products
Seeded Masonic Wall Lantern
Lightology
Tulips tablecloth
Origin Crafts
Unity Sconce by Stonegate Designs
$252.00 | Lumens
Terra-Cotta Bread Warmer - Set of Two