Crying sound

Jenneyz9FL(z10FL)April 11, 2005

Night before last I heard a crying sound and a raccoon squealing...thought it was a baby possum being attacked by a raccoon. I yelled "Stop it" as loud as I could out the window, grabbed a flashlight and ran outside to be a saviour again, but this time I was quite surprised to see the crying sound was coming from a couple of baby raccoons being chased by a large raccoon in the oak tree. I saw the large raccoon scampering along a branch. One baby ran back up the tree and another was clinging to the very end of a branch. They were both so very small that I wondered why they weren't with their mother. Someone told me today that the male raccoons eat the baby raccoons and I wondered if that was what was going on.

I was amazed that the baby possums' cry sounds just like the baby raccoons' cry. The crying sound was identical to that of the baby possum, which I had heard before and that time it also caused me to run outside with the flashlight, shouting in order to save the possum and that time I saw 2 raccoons had chased the baby possum out to the end of a branch in the oak tree and both were jumping around on the ends of the branches trying to catch the poor thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jenneyz9FL(z10FL)

I was thinking back trying to remember if it was a baby possum that I had seen before when I heard the cry. I recollect seeing a baby possum at those times but it's possible there could have been baby raccoons around too and maybe they were making the sound as I am having trouble believing that baby raccoons and possums can sound exactly the same. I guess a wildlife rehabber would know for sure.

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
What is the name of this bush?
I saw this blooming bush in Shoreline Park in Mt. View,...
ger45ti
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
What to do with a territorial Mocking bird?!
I have a Mocking bird who chases every bird that comes...
armyyife
Sponsored Products
NW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
BlueMax 70w Replacement Bulb
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
MaxLite RFR614ICAT30W 6 inch can LED Retrofit, 3000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
LED Steplights Matte White One Light Wall Mount
$170.00 | Bellacor
School House 24 in. Counter Stool - Set of 2 - CRY129
$178.00 | Hayneedle
Carson 44 in. Signature Series Family Wind Chime - 60252
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Mini Square Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Light Peridot Green Cry
$300.00 | Bellacor
Tech Lighting | Gia Triple Mirror Kit
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™