Turning weeds over, how effective for weed control?

diannelmtMay 7, 2010

My mother has always used a method of weed control for large areas covered in weeds where she takes a shovel under the weed clumps and flips them over, roots up toward the sun, tops of the weeds to the ground.

She claims that it works, for weed control, and the roots dry up and die and the green parts of the weeds decompose into compost.

Is this really effective, especially in large areas, or could this just spread the weeds even more?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

It works very well. On a larger scale it is referred to as plowing.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 2:11AM
diannelmt

I guess plowing and tilling are not the same thing? I was told that tilling can actually spread weeds, but I guess plowing is different since the weeds are just turned over rather than ground up.

That makes sense!

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 11:05AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Plowing is the same thing as tilling, and both can turn up "weed" seeds that might germinate.
Your mother did what many of us do with "weeds" if we don't gather them up and compost them, although there are thos neat freaks that cannot bear to see this kind of messy garden and have this strong need to throw away those "weeds" and the nutrients the took from the soil and which you will need to replace.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 7:54AM
takadi(7)

Don't do this with dandelions though cuz they'll sprout seeds as they die. If you want to prevent the weed seeds from germinating, you can mulch after you till it

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™