Thorny weed ID

kenzie78May 3, 2010

I've recently discovered that I have this thorny weed growing all over my front yard. The children cannot walk across it even with flip flops on or that get poked. I'm wondering if it is something I can get rid of easily or if it will be an expensive and long process to get them out of my yard. We live on a military base, so I don't want to put a huge amount of money into a yard that I don't own and will only be here for maybe another year. Thanks in advance for looking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasflip(Nacogdoches, TX z8)

Probably Soliva pterosperma.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 5:14PM
plantcrazy222

Could be spurweed. Need to see a closeup of it left on the ground. If it is spurweed you have to treat it in the winter. That is when it grows and it will start dieing off when the temp reaches 90 and above. But you are left with all the spurs and they do hurt. I have resorted to getting a small propane torch to burn off what I can see. They say it can take 2 yrs to get all the seeds gone. But a lawn mower that has a bagger will help suck up some of them.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 10:04PM
kenzie78

Thank you both for your responses. I googled Solvia pterosperma/spurweed and that is exactly what it is that is growing in my front lawn. Since posting I've noticed that they have all turned brown and are very noticeable on the lawn now. Walking across the lawn and then to concrete makes your shoes sound like they tap from all the tiny thorns stuck on the underside. We have already had 90 and above temps, so I can only hope they'll go away soon. I keep finding them stuck on my 8mth old's diaper from the kids dragging them in the house on their shoes. What a pest of a weed. Thanks again for looking and the identification.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™