Weed or Grass

taras49(6)May 12, 2012

I could use some help in Identifying wether this is weed or grass. Either way I don't like how it looks. The tops of the blades resemble a wheat plant? It has pretty much taken over the entire lawn. How do I rid myself of them?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Perhaps annual bluegrass, technical name Poa annua.

If so, a very common lawn invader.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 12:59AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Might be Annual Bluegrass, although it tends to grow in more of a clump, or it might be Annual Ryegrass. Both are cool weather grasses that die out in the hot summer weather and are consiered "weeds" by many, although both are sold as cover crops.
The method of ridding your lawn of either of these would also kill off your lawn is you chose to apply something. Since shortly they will doe off anyway I would not concern myself too much and concentrate of keep them from making seeds and encouraging the grass I want to grow in strong and healthy and thick to discourage any seeds produced form germinating this fall.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 7:39AM
taras49(6)

Okay, Thank you, but how would I encourage the grass' that I want? Over Seeding?

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 11:39AM
budbackeast(FLORIDA)

From a capitalist's perspective: what you desire is a monopoly for the grass variety of preference. It will take effort to eliminate the competition. Certain fertilizers include poisons which allow your particular lawn type to prevail, but the most certain approach is to sit down with a hand tool and dig them out while you still can.

When I bought this house, the lawn was pure evil. I found remnants of an earlier lawn, and just dug out everything else. It took a while, but my lawn is postcard quality now.

The longer you delay, the worse things will become. Help your lawn to beat the competition!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:32PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

You don't have to subscribe to the monoculture requirement for mowed areas in your own yard unless you want to.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Lawn Weed
Hi Guys, I live in Central Coastal Queensland and I...
Artesian
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™