Weed experts, please help!

eaj2011May 17, 2012

Hi all. I would greatly appreciate help identifying these weeds on my St. Augustine Floratam lawn.

What kind of clover is this with the purple coloring?

What is this weed?

And is this Yellow Sedge?

And this?

Bonus Question: What is this growth on the trunk of my live oak tree? Is it just new branches trying to form in a strange place? or something more sinister? It leaves unsightly nodules when I cut it off.

I've used Scotts Bonus S Weed&Feed twice in the past 3 months, as well as an Image sedge control, but my weeds persist. Any weed kill tips are welcome too.

So...very...desperate.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

The first weed is some kind of Oxalis. The 2nd one is some kind of Tradescantia I think. It grows where lots of water saturates the soil, grows on stilt roots if it has to. Maybe you are watering too much?

So far as using copious amounts of a weed and feed, if they kill your weeds dead, what else will they affect? The tree may be being affected, but maybe not.

St. Augustine grass is cheap, easy to grow and is installed because it makes instant lawn. A very inferior grass for a lawn, it makes a much better vine. Really.

Because of the large areas of lawn with bald spots (St. Aug. grass lawn is mostly blank space), the best advice I have is to feed the lawn and provide good drainage. After awhile, the weeds will retreat. I know it is the practice in FL to constantly obsess after a thick lush lawn, but it comes at a high maintenance cost. When I lived down there, I fed the lawn weakly about every other month, and never used any weed killers. In the cool months, (Nov-Apr) I mowed low, in the hot months, I mowed high. After 2-3 years, people were asking me how it looked so good, because they were doing the weed and feed cycle and still had a lawn with bare spots, weeds, and were spending money they didn't have for lawn services.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:00PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Agree #1 is Oxalis, possibly 2 types, some of which are natives. (The one flower doesn't look like what I would expect from those leaves.) That purple coloring looks like a health issue, nutrient deficiency or effects from the chemicals.

#2 if Tradescantia it would make a 3-petaled flower, likely pink or white. Also looks like Commelina communis, which would make a blue flower with 2 petals. Do you remember seeing any flowers on these?

The growths on the tree are just new branches. Unless you want new limbs there, you can cut them as close to the trunk as possible without damaging the bark.

It looks like it may be time to sharpen your mower blades.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:30AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Yes, Commelina. I couldn't think of that, but I suspect it is Asian Dayflower. When I lived in FL, this weed grew in the gutters of some houses, lawns, cracks in the concrete. That and Moses-in-a-boat (Tradescantia species).

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Help identifying weed - Austin Tx(Multiple pictures)
Hello, I'm attempting to identify this weed that grows...
paulburk426
When to Apply Corn Gluten Meal (Preemergent) Georgia
Hello, Is it too late to apply CGM in Atlanta, GA (March...
tigger033
Can you help me identify this weed?
It is growing in Atlanta, Georgia.
tigger033
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Weed and feed help
I put bonus S weed and feed down a week or so ago and...
volcomstone4u
Sponsored Products
Hamilton Storage Bench
Home Decorators Collection
Lazy Susan Tortoise Pedestal Dish
$58.00 | LuxeDecor
Bureau Libreria
| Italy Design
Thermostatic Shower Bar Valve Faucet Kit, Handset & Square Fixed Head
Hudson Reed
RONBOW Adina 23" Vanity Undermount - Dark Cherry
Modern Bathroom