Jet Star

rathbass1June 2, 2007

First season growing tomatoes, picked this variety up simply because the name sounded cool - but now that they're really starting to take off, I figured I'd ask if anyone has ever grown them, what they taste like, what I should expect, any reviews really whatsoever. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Jet Star is a well known Harris hybrid and if you go to the search feature at the bottom of this page and enter JEt Star you'll find lots of links to threads here where it's been discussed/

It's one of the earlier hybrids bred by them along with Supersonic and Moreton Hybrid and I think those earliest ones have some of the best tastes I've found with hybrids. Alas Moreton Hybrid is no longer in production.

Note that Jet Star is documented low acid, one of the few so documented, so if using an open water boiling method for canning be sure to acidify the jar contents.

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 7:46PM
koreyk

How much acid would be needed.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 9:02PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

2 T of bottled lemon juice per quart, 1 T per pint, is the standard recommendation in most canning books I think - I know it is the amount listed in the Ball Canning book. ;) Some elect to use 5% vinegar (4T per quart) instead but I don't like the flavor change it causes.

Jet Star has long been one of my favorites too. Hope you like them.

Dave

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 10:46PM
tomakers(SE MA Zone 5/6 or ?)

Jet Star is one of my favorites too. A great tomato.
Tom

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 3:51AM
paulc_gardener

I grew a lot of Jet Star in 1972, (3 1/2 acres). At that time I didn't know the difference between determinate and indeterminate plant varieties. We planted the feild in rows 4 ft apart and spaced at 3 ft. We just let them sprawl out. Sold most to a grocery chain of 6 stores and would replenish their supply every week. They would easily hold their quality for that week or more. Nice size and smooth skined. Good for canning and juice.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 6:42AM
kubotabx2200(Zone 5b NH)

We are growing Jet Star hybrid this year. There is a lot to be said for having uniform shape, nice flavor, good yield, and disease resistance. They come in a little early which is nice too. To my palate the taste is right up there with some of the heirloom varieties: the same can also be said for Lemon Boy hybrid.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 7:42AM
MudPye(Z7MD)

This year I am growing Beefmaster, Jet Star and Supersonic. I grew Better Boy, Big Beef and Jet Star last year and out of the three, I really like the taste of Jet Star the most. I understand that Jet Star and Supersonic are similar and will be able to compare the two this year. I must confess that Jet Star is at the top of my list of 'must haves' now. Great texture and wonderful flavor.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 12:45PM
kubotabx2200(Zone 5b NH)

I am growing Jet Star and Beefmaster too this year.

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 1:50PM
lnlsmith_sbcglobal_net

I am growing jet star for the first time this year. I have canned two different batches of salsa. The first I used a recipe using vinegar. The second I used is a recipe using no vinegar. I boiled the salsa before processing in hot water bath canner. Do I need to throw that batch away because of the low acidity?

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Has Anybody Grown This Tomato ?
I was in HD looking for Big Beef seeds. But they did...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™