German Giant Heirloom

hudson___wyJune 18, 2013

Are any of you growing this heirloom variety now or in the past? This is the first year to try German Giant for us and we just cut open our first ripe tomato from these plants. The tomato appears to have more meaty flesh when compared to other heirloom varieties - the taste was good - but a bit dryer with somewhat less flavor than other varieties. It may have been a non-representative sample - the rest of the tomatoes on these plants are still green.

Please share any experience you may have had with this heirloom variety.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenniedhs

Hi Hudson,
I received bonus seed of German Giant one year, so I grew several. We found it to be blander than we like. But some people really like this tomato.
Jennie

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:21AM
hudson___wy

Hi Jennie,
Thanks for your confirmation of what I feared - it is hard to know which heirlooms (or any variety for that matter) to try because the write-up in the seed catalogs make them all sound so delicious! They were a little bland for us too. We have some apparent possible 2 pounders in the making - not that it matters if they don't have the flavor to go along with the size!

Have you grown the "Pink Lady Heirloom" variety? I would be interested in trying it if I could find someone that has had experience growing the variety - and could give me a positive reference .

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 12:56AM
jenniedhs

I have not grown Pink Lady.

Jennie

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:54PM
hudson___wy

Turns out the first tomato to ripen on the German Giant Heirloom tomato plants wasn't representative of this variety. Now we have many larger fruits ripening that show a much more flavorful juicy tomato! Many of these fruits are over a pound but are still slightly more bland when compared to other varieties IMO.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:38AM
njitgrad

Looks delish to me. Can't see how something that looks so good could lack any flavor.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 4:28PM
hudson___wy

Hi Njitgrad,
Slightly gets ever so thinner as the season continues. You are right - just splitting hairs now. The German Giant variety has done well - a very hardy plant (almost 16' tall now) that sets fruit well - some very large.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy
The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both...
hudson___wy
Color of Tomato Plants
As anyone that follows my posts knows, I am growing...
garf_gw
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™