Do these deers have prehensile lips?

DMForcier(8 DFW)June 27, 2013

I'm missing tomatoes. San Marzanos. When they get big enough to be of interest, they vanish, usually leaving behind the stem and petals (?). The resident deer herd has given the occasional haircut - nothing too serious - but I have to suspect them. If they are indeed the perps, they are reaching into the plant and plucking the whole fruit with teeth and lips.

My friend thinks it is raccoons but they would have to climb up into the plant and there is no sign of broken branches etc. Plus we don't have many of the little buggers.

One would tend to suspect the human variety, but no one ever goes back there, and the toms are quite green when they enter the realm of lost veg.

Huh?

Dennis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

When I was growing maters in Wisconsin, the local deer would pluck them off of the plant, but if green, would not eat them after biting into them. Look around on the ground(s) for your green toms with bite marks. It was very sad to find a big bite in a large green beefsteak that would have been a pound or more...very sad indeed.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:24PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

Do you have squirrels?

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:34AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Squirrels are everywhere. Hadn't considered them. Somehow the discussion on swallows from Monty Python and the Holy Grail seems to resonate with the suggestion, though.

There are no pieces of mater anywhere. These are in containers in a wagon (the Going to the Sun Wagon) and the wagon floor would catch anything dropped. Nothing around it, either.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:52PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

Hmm... I'd think either squirrels or deer would leave trace evidence (or coconuts) behind...

An example of squirrel desecration of tomato (graphic, and may be disturbing!)

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:05AM
mzteaze(6)

I had one tomato today where SOMETHING took a good sized bite then chucked the rest of the mater in my backyard. :-(

Any decent deterrents to use on the fruit?

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™