Buying wildflower plugs?

terryr(z5a IL)April 3, 2006

There is going to be a native plant sale up in one the burbs of Chicago. The majority of the plants (wildflowers and grasses) are plugs. Do you just plant the plugs? Or do I pot them up and grow them first? This is new to me, I've never bought plugs before...please help!

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rsmallen(z6 PA)

I think you just plug em in the ground. My designer guy (and my local native store) recommends plugs where I need like 30 of something. I am pretty sure they know I am not about to pot and transplant. So GOOD QUESTION. If somebody tells us both that you pot then transplant I will be rethinking plugs and just planting plants!!

Robin

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 7:10PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Well Robin, I guess we still don't know the answer. I sent in my order today. Can you ask your designer since we're not getting an answer?

Thanks,

Terry

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 7:23PM
rsmallen(z6 PA)

Terry, tomorrow I will ask. I have a landscape guy coming tomorrow morning and Sat morning. So I will ask both. Think I will trust the Sat guy more. These are installer guys. One is very experienced with natives...the other seems to like the idea. He works for a company wiht a website ahd home show booths. The other guy owns his own company that has no frills. The designer gave me his name. He also worked for Rodale for a long time..so I think he knows his stuff. Anyway, I will get back to you on plugs on Sat sometime!
Robin

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 8:07PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Thanks Robin

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 10:27PM
rsmallen(z6 PA)

Well Terry, Landscape installer #1 came today. He tells me plugs just go straight in the ground. They are simply little pieces of root material and maybe have a leaf or shoot if they are alittle older. Right into the ground they go! (and in truth, I HAVE planted them before, I just did not know they were plugs and into the ground they went!) He also tells me that Fall is a fine ok time to plant them...since I won't get to mine until Fall.
Robin

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 7:29PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Sorry Robin! I've been in the yard working since last Sat and forgot about my email reply to this. I guess they'll go straight into the ground then. Last Fri we went to a nursery that specializes in native trees, shrubs and perennials. They aren't selling the perennials yet, so I didn't think to ask him. Thank you so much for asking your guy!

Terry

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
Sponsored Products
Economy Fauxwood Shutter. Free Samples and Shipping!
$94.00 | Blinds.com
The Perfect Shade Flexi 16-ft. Awning Hood and Side Covers - ELTHOOD16-W
$594.91 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Round Patio 49 63 Emperador Mosaic Marble Stone Table - FLORIDA
Living'ROC
SW 3528 LED Strip Light 78/m 8mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
CrystalPleat Blackout Skylight. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
WP RGBDW 5050 ColorPlus LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Greco Gold 9' 6" x 13' 9"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™