Buying wildflower plugs?

terryr(z5a IL)April 3, 2006

There is going to be a native plant sale up in one the burbs of Chicago. The majority of the plants (wildflowers and grasses) are plugs. Do you just plant the plugs? Or do I pot them up and grow them first? This is new to me, I've never bought plugs before...please help!

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rsmallen(z6 PA)

I think you just plug em in the ground. My designer guy (and my local native store) recommends plugs where I need like 30 of something. I am pretty sure they know I am not about to pot and transplant. So GOOD QUESTION. If somebody tells us both that you pot then transplant I will be rethinking plugs and just planting plants!!

Robin

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 7:10PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Well Robin, I guess we still don't know the answer. I sent in my order today. Can you ask your designer since we're not getting an answer?

Thanks,

Terry

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 7:23PM
rsmallen(z6 PA)

Terry, tomorrow I will ask. I have a landscape guy coming tomorrow morning and Sat morning. So I will ask both. Think I will trust the Sat guy more. These are installer guys. One is very experienced with natives...the other seems to like the idea. He works for a company wiht a website ahd home show booths. The other guy owns his own company that has no frills. The designer gave me his name. He also worked for Rodale for a long time..so I think he knows his stuff. Anyway, I will get back to you on plugs on Sat sometime!
Robin

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 8:07PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Thanks Robin

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 10:27PM
rsmallen(z6 PA)

Well Terry, Landscape installer #1 came today. He tells me plugs just go straight in the ground. They are simply little pieces of root material and maybe have a leaf or shoot if they are alittle older. Right into the ground they go! (and in truth, I HAVE planted them before, I just did not know they were plugs and into the ground they went!) He also tells me that Fall is a fine ok time to plant them...since I won't get to mine until Fall.
Robin

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 7:29PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Sorry Robin! I've been in the yard working since last Sat and forgot about my email reply to this. I guess they'll go straight into the ground then. Last Fri we went to a nursery that specializes in native trees, shrubs and perennials. They aren't selling the perennials yet, so I didn't think to ask him. Thank you so much for asking your guy!

Terry

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™