suggestions on minimizing the look of poa

lawntrouble(6 - Long Island, NY)May 11, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am posting a picture of my front lawn - taken yesterday late afternoon, right after a fresh mow. As you can probably see, there are several patches of poa annua that I have every year near the front of the lawn (to the right of tree as you look at the picture) - they appear as a lighter green, and are an EYE-SORE!! I try to stay on top of mowing to keep the heads to a minimal, but was wondering if people think I should dig out all of these spots and put in transplanted KBG from the back yard, or if there are just too many spots and people think I should NOT dig them out and transplant.

Im trying not to nuts with this, and don't want to cause more harm than good, so Im looking for expert advice from this forum. Thanks so much!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I think it looks fine, I couldn't see the poa.

But anyway, usually when dealing with spots, if you kill the poa, you can't really just transplant a few spots, usually one would need to overseed the entire lawn for blending.

Have you tried late summer/early fall applications of a pre-emergent commonly recommended for poa control?

Here is a link that might be useful: poa annua control

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™