what is this weed taking over my Chicago lawn?

JimBachorMay 1, 2013

hi -

HELP! what is this??? and any ideas on how to treat?

thanks in advance for any help!

jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimpa(z6b PA)

It looks like ground ivy to me. And it looks dense-I don't see any grass. Ground Ivy is hard to control. Possibly use Round-up then reseed the grass.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 6:22AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Probably is Ground Ivy, "Glechoma hederacea" and using any glyphosate product is overkill because they are very broad spectrum poisons that will kill everything they contact. Ground Ivy can be an indicator of a soil problem since they tend to want to grow. Generally Ground Ivy preferes a soil that is a bit too moist for most turf grasses and although they will grow in full sun they do prefer shady areas.
Since these seed prolifically you most likely will not ever be rid of it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 6:34AM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

You can knock it back with a broad leaf herbicide, one containing 2,4-D or Dicamba. Then work on getting the grass thickened up.

2,4-D can vaporize and damage other nearby broadleaved plants. Ash trees and tomatoes are particularly sensitive, so be careful with 2,4-D. Dicamba is much less prone to releasing vapors.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 2:35AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

You can indeed spray one of the broadleaf weed poisons that are creating many problems with our environment and then when these "weeds" reseed you can spray again. The long term solution is to look at the soil and correct any problems with that and get a good, healthy stand of turf grass growing so any "weeds" have little to no chance to grow.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 6:39AM
More Discussions
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™