fertilizing

topaz72(7)June 15, 2012

This is my first year planting tomatoes. i planted three plants in the ground and mulched. My question is how often to use fertilizer on them and how close to the plant do i put it? I have MG for tomatoes. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

What does it suggest on the container ?

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 3:54AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As Dickie said your choice of fertilizer will determine how much of it and how often you use it. Just follow the label directions as they vary greatly from band to brand.

Dave

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 1:07PM
wjtjr

new to the form.

really looking for some thoughts on tomatoe ferterlizer.
was told the stuff I am using nitrogens content (18%) is
to high. would appreciate any help. maybe the best numbers or just the name of a good fertilizer.

TIA

God Bless America
Trap

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:49PM

Hi Trap - type 'fertilizer' into the forum search bar at the bottom of the front page for many discussions and recommendations. Are you looking for organic ferts or synthetic? For containers or in-ground plants? For just a few plants or many? And how would you normally apply it?

I use fertigation for my plants - fertilize as I water with a drip system - so unless you do the same my personal preferences wouldn't be of much help.

Dave

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:12PM
wjtjr

Dave

did not think about any of the things you said. figured a mater plant was a mater plant LOL

I have mine in containers, was mixing miracle grow with water and fertilizing that way, have 7 beef stake and 3 cherry plants, as for organic or synthetic I really don't care.

thanks for the questions so I had enough sense to post the info needed.

thanks again

God Bless America
Trap

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:31PM

If you don't car about type then what you already have can be used. Standard recommendation for container plants is to feed them 1x a week with a full strength solution of it. If the soil-less mix in the containers drains really well you can go with 1/2 strength more frequently since nutrients leach out every time you water.

If you have already mixed in a good granular fertilizer before planting then once week is usually enough.

This is assuming you are using good size containers of 10 gallons or bigger so that they don't have to be watered multiple times a day. If you are using small containers that require frequent watering then you'll need to feed more often.

Keep in mind that particular fertilizer is noted for being high in salts that can build up in your soil so you may wish to consider alternating it with something else now and then.

Dave

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:06PM
wjtjr

Dave

thanks for your help/info

have a good day

God Bless America
Trap

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:19AM
capoman(5a)

There's a lot FUD about fertilizer out there, but keep this in mind: The plant's own makeup is approximately 3-1-2 ratio so, any fertilizer in that range should be fine. In the late stages of fruit development, you may want to reduce N to slow down leafy growth so the plant will concentrate it's energy on the remaining fruit. At this point, a food with ratio 1-1-1 is usually sufficient. It's simpler then you think. Any tomato specific fertilizer is probably best used during fruiting. In the vegetative stage 3-1-2 is appropriate.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 2:18PM
miesenbacher(7)

One of the better tomato ferts I have found is Floramato which is 2-1-3 ratio which should work well for you. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Floramato

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 6:56AM
robertz6

Read the directions. Even then you might encounter problems. The neighbor two yards over has plants as big as mine, but no fruit while my first cherry toms are ripening now. (Zone 6)

He claims he followed the directions on the MG red tomato food and used it three times. I use compost, compost tea, and maybe one dose of slow-release tomato food. Told him a too rich diet of nitrogen is also thought to increase Blossom end rot too, and maybe some seaweed extract spray on leaves might be a good idea (Rodale book).

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™