What is this & how do I kill it?

suzie29May 9, 2013

I cant get rid of this weed & its starting to get way out of control in our lawn. Does anyone know what it is & how to kill it?

Ive used scotts weed & feed granular fertilizer & ortho & bayer weed b gone. It just burns it a bit for about 1 week & its back with a vengeance! Pulling is no good either, they just break off & regrow, can not get the roots out.

Its the clover with the yellow flower

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It's not clover. The correct name is oxalis.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:00PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That is one of the Oxalis (Wood sorrel) species and it seeds very prolifically. Many times people will think that plants of this they have pulled out have returned when they have new plants growing from seeds. If, within 5 miles, you have any of these plants growing you will have them in your garden.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:19AM
kimpa(z6b PA)

Since you are using weed killers, try Ortho weed b gon chickweed clover and oxalis killer. It may only be available in a concentrate so you will have to use your own sprayer and mix it with water.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:53AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

It is O. stricta. Knowing your enemy should help you find the right stuff, if you want to put stuff on it.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:39AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Keeping in mind that Ontario has banned most uses of the common "weed" killers because of environmental concerns and that there are known adverse health affects to humans from most of them, and that simply pulling unwanted plant growth is the simplest and most environmentally friendly method of unwanted plant growth control, why spend money on materials that adversly affect your health as well as the health of the planet you live on?

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™