Nitrogen mistake?

TraciL13(7a)June 28, 2013

This forum is great! This is only my second year with a garden. Last year's garden was a dissaster frought with wilt and disease. I read about rotating my crops and planted the tomatoes in a different location with some cucumber plants. I also planted corn in another raised bed. Well I read on one of the forums that my corn was turning yellow because of nitrogen def. And yelow cukes need lot of nitrogen also. So, to take care of my yellowing corn and be proactive with my cukes, I added blood meal to the soil. Some of my tomato flowers are turning brown or blackish. I am wondering if my tomato plants are reacting to the nitrogen I gave to the cukes? Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fcivish(Zone 6 Utah)

I don't rotate my tomato location, but essentially grow them year after year in approximately the same location. As for fertilizer, I tend to try to make healthy soil with fair amounts of compost and organic matter, and I fertilize lightly, and then only at the early part of the year. Wish I could tell you more about your own fertilizer situation.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:13PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

It is possible that you have over done it. Did you follow the instruction as HOW MUCH?HOW to apply ?

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 3:27AM
Bets(z6A S ID)

Blossom drop can be the result of too much nitrogen.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:56AM
jamesandfely(6)

I have volunteer tomato growing between onion rows . I let it grow to see what will happen, it's now with fruits and lots of flower. Before the onion start bulbing the onion where fertilize by 21-0-0 every 2 to 3 weeks . I also put eggplant next to it to see what will happen .Now the eggplant has flowers.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 1:27PM
TraciL13(7a)

Thanks for the responses. I followed the instructions on how much nitrogen to put on the cukes and corn, but am afraid the amount may have been too much for the tomatoes. I read the FAQ on blossom drop and it says that calcium can sometimes reverse the effects of the nitrogen in the tomatoes. Has anyone used egg shells successfully?

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™