Weed ID for a beginner please?

futiqueMay 2, 2007

Hello everyone,

I am a complete novice, so please forgive me if I seem naive. I've tried researching these unknown plants on my own, but I can't seem to find a match anywhere.

Anyway, the pictures below are of some plants that are popping up all over the place. I actually don't mind how these look, but if they are weeds, I want to get rid of them sooner, rather than later. Whatever they are, they really seem to be happy with the soil/light conditions, because they are everywhere.

They pull out easily, FWIW. Each one is a separate plant as well.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

Looks like white snakeroot seedlings to me, a variety of eupatorium.

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 1:07PM
ice77angel

Howdy,

This looks like Blackberry to me. A very pervasive, fast growing shrub with stickers. I'm about 99% sure of that.

Try and pull them up with as many of the roots as possible. Then get some round up or some kind of weed killer to kill the remaining roots.

Also, a heavy brush killer sprayed on the leaves will do the trick. Just be careful not to spray any other type of surrounding (desirable) plants.

ia

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry (disambiguation)

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 3:56AM
futique

Thanks for the replies. Whatever it is, I've pulled it up everywhere, except for a small isolated section where I plan to let it grow a bit, and see what happens.

It's not altogether unpleasing in appearance.

I have noticed that as it ages, the leaves are getting longer, and more arrow like in appearance. I'l try to take an update pic and post.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 12:46PM
futique

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

For some reason, I don't think it's Blackberry. The leaves look different from the pictures I've been able to find.

This stuff is popping up everywhere... in the middle of some juniper, in the middle of established groundcover... and it definitely seems to regenerate from any root pieces I leave behind.

A characteristic I forgot to mention before- sometimes when pulling on the stem, the outer stem covering will pull off, leaving behind a thin green "thread" from the inside.

Tenacious little buggers. Grrrrrr.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™