Home grown wire hanging basket liner ...

roselee z8b S.W. TexasMay 7, 2011

Since there seems to be some genuine interest in my garden projects I'd like to show you another home grown wire hanging basket liner that saves from having to buy one.

On this one I used a couple of layers of Meditarian fan palm fronds and then lined them with triple thick landscape frabic. The fronds are fresh here but will turn brown.

I lowered a heavy bucket that is the same size as the pot the ferns are in to weight it down to conform to the shape of the wire basket. I put potting soil around the bucket, wet it and packed it down. When it drys enough to keep it's shape I'll unpot the fern and put it in. I'll let it dry a bit more before hanging and that way it won't be so heavy to lift while putting it up.

I showed one before that I lined with deer net, brush mulch, and landscape fabric. I hope this one works as well. It leaves a bit more room for potting soil as the fronds are not as thick as the mulch.

I'd love to hear about and see photos of your garden projects! It gives us all ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

That's another great idea and so simple. Our neighbors put palm fronds out by the curb sometimes so I'll try that.

I finished the cone baskets from the swap this morning, but the sun is too bright to show them well so I'll be back with pictures later.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 3:50PM
PKponder TX(7b)

I used canna leaves last year because they break down so slowly and I have a plethora of cannas, but didn't think about landscape fabric. They lasted pretty well through the summer, but eventually started leaking potting soil when watered. I'm glad that I read this!

Thanks Roselee!

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 4:13PM
Lynn Marie

Great! It seems those coconut liners are more than the pots now. I don't have palms, but I do have cannas. I will definitely try this next time! Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:46PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Yes, using canna leaves is a GREAT idea!

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:54PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Brilliant! Thank you!!!

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 9:09PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Here's what I did with the baskets from the swap.

I used Roselee's method with the deer net, sheet moss and the landscape fabric. I cut holes in the sides and pulled the plants through like a strawberry pot. I will do this as I plant other baskets too because the netting really holds the moss in better than just the wire frame and the landscape fabric keeps the soil in place.

The hangers are wire covered with plastic beads. The plants are petunias, blue daze, and calibrachoa with verbena at the top. I did one last week and the second one yesterday, the petunias are doing the best and the blue daze are a little wilted so I stuck a few portulaca cuttings in too.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:29PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

That looks great! Lucky you getting those baskets as a door prize at the swap :-) I don't remember ever seeing that style for sale.

I didn't know what sheet moss was until I looked it up on the internet. It looks like sphagnum moss already formed in sheets.

I love how you strung the beads on the wire hangers.

Thanks for the pictures!

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 11:22AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Sheet moss and sphagnum moss look the same and I use either though sheet moss was easier for this because it takes up less room and holds together. I've also seen it labeled decorator or green moss. This is from the dollar store at the Rim next to Michael's.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 1:51PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Neat baskets! I love brightly colored stuff myself.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Anybody grow red buckeye?
I bought a small red buckeye almost a year ago. When...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™