Help---Choke weed problem

eddie10(SE Mi.)May 4, 2009

I've always called them "Choke Weeds"---------viney weeds that grow fast and choke plants around them----How do you kill them without harming plants and birds around them?-----------thanks--ED

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Can you provide more information and hopefully a good picture clearly showing the weeds and vine and even flowers? The common names for weeds change from location to location, and sometimes are called different things in the same location, so we need a good description of the plant.

Generally you have several methods of control.

Mechanical where you pull or hoe out the weed, chemical where you spray it out (herbicides generally won't hurt animals at the rates used, especially in small areas, but they may take out the plants around them), and you have cultural controls where you modify the environment they are growing in to make it undesirable. (They like light?, give them shade. They like moisture, let the ground dry. Plant other plants that are more agressive or come up earlier or larger and outcompete them. They are a perennial? Plant annuals and keep the ground cultivated)

Another method people have recommended with unwanted vines is to mix up a small bowl of glyphosate at high strength (50% active ingredient diluted by equal parts water) and move one of the vines so it lays through the bowl and can absorb the glyphosate. Doesn't risk killing any other plant not in the bowl, and the vine soaks up the glyphosate.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
Best organic solutions
Hello, Any advice on the best things to buy to address...
tigger033
Eliminator brand weed killer
Has anyone tried the Eliminator brand weed/grass killer...
trh701
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
Neglected Yard
I moved into a house last winter and the yard seems...
reemlarki
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™