Gold Finches

ktmusher(5a)April 20, 2010

Anybody still use this? last date i saw was '07. We had a GF who would land on our kitchen windowsill and we would be able to get close enough to capture video with a cell phone. do GF's return to the same nesting area each year?

we have a tube thistle feeder and have a pair already, very exciting!! I'm going to have to try an upside down feeder, it sounds interesting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Im just over here in West Michigan. We have them year round in fact I had a flock of nearly 200 this winter. Are you sure they are not there year round and you just are not recognizing thier winter plumage? I would think you would have pretty much the same birds we have.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 7:56PM
woodlandgal(4)

I'm in western WI and they were here on and off all winter, but are here steady now. They eat BOSS. I have thistle seed too, but wait to put it out until the Indigo Buntings come back, in case they would prefer that.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:10PM
paulsiu(5a)

I live in Northern Illinois and Gold Finches are fairly common around here. In the winter, they will flock around a thistle seed feeder and eat about 1-2 lbs of seed a day. In the summer, they are not so common around the feeder because they have natural sources of food.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:02PM
medona

hello,
Thanks for your useful information about wildlife. It might be very useful to us. Thanks for sharing this information . I hope you will share more information and useful site with us.

thanks!!

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 11:35AM
finchelover(5b-6)

I went out of town for 5 days and when I came back I only saw a few finches now none I am wondering if its due to the very hot weather or what.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™