Squirrel proof bird houses

jan_on zone 5bApril 21, 2012

I just discovered all of the nesting material has been removed from two bird houses where industrious house sparrows have been working for the past few days. The houses are mounted on 2x2 posts about 6 feet tall, supported against a 4 foot tall chain link fence. I'm blaming the squirrels since I saw one bothering the tenants of another bird house, but it could possibly have been a racoon I suppose. Any suggestions for keeping pests away from bird houses?

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Be glad the nests are gone if they are truly House Sparrows. They are non native, invasive species and they kill our Native cavity nesting birds like Bluebirds, Chickadees etc.
Go to www.sialis.org to see if your birds are really House Sparrows...If they are...well I shoot them. Nuff said. If they aren't then the sialis site will also give you suggestions on how to protect your cavity nesters.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:44PM
jan_on zone 5b

Thanks Lisa -- and I am sure they are house sparrows, but living in the middle of the city bluebirds aren't interested in our property. I was hoping the sparrows might eat some grubs, slugs, but perhaps they only eat seeds? I'm not planning to shoot them (the city frowns on that practice), but the neighbourhood cats do a pretty good job actually. I'll check out the site you suggested.
Jan

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:28PM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Yes I'm pretty sure they would frown on it in the city. I'm out here in the woods. When they brought the English House Sparrows over they thought they would eat bugs too. They are very damaging. There are other ways to get rid of them (also on the site)Don't let them multiply. Native cavity nesters Blues, Tree Swallows etc. eat lots of bugs but hey are not likely to take up residence where there is an over abundance of HOSPs.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 3:10PM
GardenGuyZone6a(6a)

I'm curious about the origial topic of the post... squirrel-proof birdhouses. I have had that same problem and would love to hear suggestions. (aside from shooting the squirrels)

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:58AM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Garden Guy the sialis.org website has plans & explains how to keep nestboxes safe.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:52PM
paulsiu(5a)

The same way you keep the squirrels away from bird feeders. First you put the bird house on a pole because squirrels can climb down anything. Next, locate the pole 10 feet away from any trees and about 5 feet off the ground, then attach a squirrel baffle. Actually I recommend a raccoon baffle, which would be longer since raccoon are a greater danger than squirrels. If you get a metal one, it will probably stop snakes, too.

Paul

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 2:52AM
More Discussions
Water Wiggler?
I'm setting up a garden in my small urban backyard....
hgalindo
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Sponsored Products
Personalized Fleur de Lis Bell Plaque
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Augusta Polished Brass Outdoor Uplight
$64.95 | Bellacor
Design House Ceiling Fans Barcelona 52 in. 3-Light Satin Nickel Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Tech Lighting | Staccato Chandelier
YLighting
Panama Jack Island Breeze 3-piece Slatted Pub Table Set
Overstock.com