Tomatoes taste funny?

Cecek1016June 26, 2012

I tried to grow some tomatoes this year for the first time and it is called tomato "celebrity" I picked the first two and they seemed pretty ripe. I tasted it and its very salty almost a little spicy kind of....weird. But I didnt finish it until i know if Its normal or a bad tomato? Thanks for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Taste is a very personal thing. What tastes sweet and great to one person would taste spicy and blah to others and vice-versa.

Also taste of the tomato will vary greatly depending on the growing conditions you provide. So the same variety will taste different from different gardens. Lastly, the first fruits off most any plant may taste different than the later ones simply because of weather effects.

Celebrity is a very common variety grown by many. It has never been known for its wonderful flavor, it is a market growers variety, but some folks love it.

Is it a "bad tomato"? No. Try some of the later fruit and see if you like them better. If not it's time to try a different variety.

Dave

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:48AM
Djole(6)

Cecek,

Those tomatoes are clearly rubbish. Don't eat them. Better let me handle it and send them ALL to me! ;)

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 12:11PM
Cecek1016

Thank u for the replies. Just needed another opinion. No one eats tomatoes at my house. :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 4:10PM
capoman(5a)

Salty and spicy? That's the way I like 'em.

That being said, if it's not a pleasant salty/spicy, could be due to excessive fertilizer salts in the fruit. Some suggest flushing plants a week before harvest with plain water to eliminate fertilizer taste, but that usually only works with determinates. Reducing nitrogen is not a bad idea though for any type during fruiting.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 11:49AM
RpR_(3-4)

You are probably used to the horrid things you get at groceries stores, they ain't supposed to taste like those.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 1:55PM
capoman(5a)

LOL, RpR, you are right. I know I always get disappointed when the season is over and have to buy fresh tomatoes at the store again. They just seem tasteless in comparison.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 2:50PM
barnhardt9999(8a)

"Fresh tomatoes from the store"... haha. Good joke.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 11:52PM
terrybull

nothing like a bacon lettuce and styrofoam sandwich!

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™