Can I fight Green Kyllinga weed?

carmiewest(Eastern South Florida)May 24, 2005

Hi,

I am in South Florida and I noticed that my St. Augustine grass in getting invaded by green kyllinga. It is is still contained in some spots but it keeps appearing in different parts. I found some websites where it mentions that the best way to fight it is to use lots of applications of chemicals. I was hoping to stop using chemicals and I am so sad thinking that I might have to do it.

I was already fighting some other 3 or 4 types of weeds. The neighbor's lawn from across the street is full of dollarweed so I am afraid it is just a matter of time before mine gets invaded as well.

Should I fight it? Can I be successful? Should I hire a professional to do it? When I just noticed the green kyllinga in the back of my house, I was thinking I was going to put a plastic cover to kill the grass and the weed and then put new sod but I see that I have it in the front and sides of the house as well and I cannot do it.

Help!!

Carmen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huachuma

Carmen,

I too am fighting a couple types of weedy sedges in my yard. I use a "weed wacker" to first scuff-up and damage the leaves, (they're usually too glossy for herbicides to adhere). I then brush on Round-up. If your careful there will be minimal damage to surrounding turf.

I know you were concerned about using chemicals, but Round-up is relatively benign; just follow instructions on the bottle. I would resist using professionals as they tend to use a "scorched-earth" approach; applying chemicals to the entire landscape...

I've included a link to a site concerned with controlling this weed. I apologize if it's one of the internet sources that you've already viewed.

Good luck,

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fighting Kyllinga

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™