anything wrong with just leaving creeping charlie?

thepaintedlady_gwMay 4, 2013

Hey,

I live in a fairly crunchy part of the world. Lots of my neighbors have chickens, many of us don't use herbicides because we don't like them.

I have a fair amount of creeping charlie and honestly I don't mind it. I think it's pretty, it has a nice smell, and it doesn't require any work on my part.

I have lots of flower beds and I work hard to keep it (and morning glory and some other nameless vine) out off there. But under my oak leaf hydrangea I'm inclined to let it live. Saving me mulching and weeding.

Is anything wrong with this? Will my hydrangea die because of it?

I also have sedge and verticillium problems. I feel like creeping charlie is low on my list of concerns.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Hydrangea won't die, but any weeds use up moisture that might be needed by your desired plant. If you don't mulch, some kind of weed will try to grow, and there are worse weeds than Creeping Charlie.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:22PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Creeping Charlie, "Glechoma hederacea" was once sold as a ground cover so it may not be as bad as many think. If you don't mind a polyculture lawn instead of a monoculture lawn, this is one of many "weeds" you can ignore. You should be able to fairly easily keep it under control in any planitng bed as long as you pull the plants out before they get too large since they can develop a very large root.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 6:59AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I've seen many Hydrangeas with various ground covers. I think it's pretty and wouldn't bother it unless in beds, just like you're doing. Many lawns around this area turn purple in the spring, Glechoma, Lamium, Verbena. Hardly any monoculture lawns - they're so much prettier than just plain grass. Any low, soft creepers are welcome where we mow. We don't use 'cides either, made by those who have decided so many pretty flowers are weeds and that we are failures for not using their products to eradicate them. I don't buy it, figuratively or literally. If something grows that I don't want, I dig, pull, or smother it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™