Hanover tomato?

lane5(7)June 26, 2009

I live in the Richmond area, and this year I plan on going to the Hanover Tomato Festival. I'm curious - is "Hanover Tomato" a recognized heirloom tomato plant? Have others grown it and found it to be decent?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

I live in the Richmond area, and this year I plan on going to the Hanover Tomato Festival. I'm curious - is "Hanover Tomato" a recognized heirloom tomato plant? Have others grown it and found it to be decent?

Oh my, over the years there have been several threads about this and I don't have the faintest idea at which site they may be, or if they're still available.

But there is no ONE variety called Hanover. As the County Extension agent said when contacted,many different varieties are grown in Hanover County and while they do have known names, collectively they're referred to as Hanover tomatoes.

The same thing obtains when someone asks about Jersey tomatoes b'c there is no one variety, just known varieties that have been grown in NJ for many years and it usually refers to those grown many years ago b'c hybrids have almost taken over from OP's in NJ as market tomatoes.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™