Clean Slate - Where to start?

rudysmallfry(z6)April 1, 2006

I moved into a house a few years ago where the backyard borders a tidal marsh. Many species of fresh and salt water birds nest in the area. I have wanted to plant more bird friendly landscaping back there, but until recently could not since the area did not get enough sun. Mother nature must have liked my intentions because she toppled an enormous Poplar tree in the back corner of my property. What was full shade is now full sun. I'm anxious to put in some bird friendly bushes, plants or trees, but am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any pictures or plans for such a space? We're talking about a 20' by 15' area with salt water nearby. Not too windy. I'm in coastal CT. Lots of migratory geese, robins, cardinals, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terryr(z5a IL)

You could start here:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu:591/search.html

Just type in all that you want and your requirements, and it will bring up plants for you. BTW, there are many shrubs and trees that don't mind shade.

Terry

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 11:17AM
rudysmallfry(z6)

That UCONN site is great, albeit a bit slow. I like the idea someone suggested in another thread of serviceberry trees. Looks like they grow naturally along wetlands anyway, so it's perfect. And they stay small, so they won't block my view of the water.

My problem is going to be finding a nursery that carries native trees and shrubs. I asked at both big box stores and they looked at me like I had two heads. No surprise I suppose. Is there anyone in the Milford, CT area who can suggest a knowledgeable place?

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 12:46PM
terryr(z5a IL)

I found this list...scroll on down and it has nurseries available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Nurseries

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 6:45PM
rudysmallfry(z6)

Terryr, thanks for the link! That list is great, and most of the things I want are at nearby stores. I can't wait to get started.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 6:02PM
terryr(z5a IL)

You're welcome! Come back and tell us all what you've bought....

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Anyone an Ecologists? Predation (Red Fox)
We have Red fox that seems to not have any predator's....
ladyrose65
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™