Eradicating false solomon's seal

dizzytrist(6)May 12, 2010

I have a ton of false solomon's seal growing by my grassy yard and I hate it. I planted some Vinca there to make a nice groundcover for that woods-y part right by my yard, but I'm afraid it's going to be choked out by the false solomon's seal. I know it grows by rhizomes... so I guess pulling them out of the ground will do no good. Should I try to spray them with something? Do I need to uproot my vinca and kill everything in the area (then later replant the vinca)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This native plant is listed in many places as endangered and it may be protected, so check with your local office of your state universities Cooperative Extension Service about that.
This woodland plant is spread by both rhizomes and seeds, birds, field mice (voles), and other wild animals eat the berries and drop the seeds all over the place. Spraying with anything to maybe kill it probably won't work since none of the products on the shelf, or available from a Licensed Pesticde Applicator, has been as effective in controlling the target as the ads and the sales people tell you. The single most effective way I have found to control any unwanted "weed" is to dig it up.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Please help identify these vines
These are young examples of these vines that can grow...
jmccown0999
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Use of Preen in March for April planting - zone 5a
Good Morning! I have to clean a weedy area to prepare...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Can you please name this weed (Qatar)
Can you please name this weed, it seems to be growing...
maufie123
Sponsored Products
Aqua Products Aquabot Turbo - 69011
Hayneedle
Silver UV Sanitizing Waste Trash Can Bin
$99.99 | zulily
Grass Gator Weed II Replacement Head - 1223-0934
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Home Duster
$6.99 | zulily
Cuisinart DGB-700BC Grind & Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffee Maker - DGB-700BC
$165.00 | Hayneedle