The Flickers are remodeling my new birdhouse. What gives?

thaugen(5)April 25, 2014

I put up a big birdhouse specifically built for the flickers using dimensions gleaned from various sources. Used 2X12 and 2X10 lumber to provide some insulation, more like a hollow in a tree. Starlings were there a few days (ughh!) and then the flickers evicted them and moved in. Since then I hear a constant pecking inside the box so I think the flickers are remodeling. When I built the box I used the table saw to put a lot of grooves below the hole so the babies could climb up, and when I got the box in place I put in a goodly amount of birch shavings, but now I'm wondering if I didn't put in enough shavings or something else is not to their liking. Any suggestions about doing something to help them?
Thanks, Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

I would leave them alone to finish their work. Evidently they didn't read the various sources :) But whatever you did worked, because they are there!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 8:41AM
thaugen(5)

Assuming they are trying to make more bedding, I'm thinking about shoving some more shavings in through the hole. They can always throw them back out if I'm wrong.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 9:44AM
thaugen(5)

I went ahead and shoved in more shavings, maybe raising the level by a couple of inches. Still nonstop pecking. So I added another couple of inches. Pecking stopped!

Flicker then sat in the hole looking out for much of the day. Now about ten days later she may be sitting on eggs. Fingers crossed.

So the advice to fill the nest box fully up (with sawdust), as compared to the advice to only put in 4 inches (of wood shavings) seemed to work better in my situation.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
What is the name of this bush?
I saw this blooming bush in Shoreline Park in Mt. View,...
ger45ti
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™