Sedgehammer - What am I doing Wrong?

NormAtHomeMay 9, 2013

Last year I noticed that my lawn (front and back) was being infested with a weed that I'd never seen before. I took a piece to the local garden center and they identified it as Nutsedge and the only thing they had that specifically was made to kill it was Ortho Nutsedge killer. Over the course of the summer I must have used 15 to 20 bottles of the stuff (it comes premixed in bottles about the size of Windex) and while it seemed like it killed the surface stuff I don't think it killed the nuts because this year it's back even worse than last year.

Having read here many peoples struggles trying to get rid of this pernicious weed, a lot of people seem to be getting good results with Sedgehammer so I ordered some online. The instructions say to "Spray on all affected areas Rainfast within four hours", I waited until it hadn't rained for a day and there was no rain in the forecast for at least two and sprayed it on. Unfortunately there was an unscheduled thunderstorm that possibly washed the sedgehammer away and when I didn't see any change in 10 days I put down another treatment. After another 14 days from the second, I still didn't see any change and put down a third which was a week ago (it was at least a day post rain and three full days before any more rain) and I still don't see any of the nutsedge dying.

Is there possibly something that I'm doing wrong in the way I'm applying the sedgehammer? Any idea's why I'm not seeing any effect?

Thanks!

- Norm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

To start, that's not nutgrass.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 10:59PM
NormAtHome

Ok I give up, that's what the garden center said it was so if it's not nutsedge then what is it since regular Ortho weed killer with grabgrass control doesn't seem to touch it either?

- Norm

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:12PM
jeanne

I think that's Johnson Grass but you might want to check on the grasses forum to be sure. The telltale part of grasses is the inflorescence, you will get a much more accurate ID if you can take a pic of the 'flowers'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnson Grass inflorescence

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
Bleach & Poison Ivy
A few days ago I did a search of the Weeds Forum to...
Xeramatheum
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Is this a weed?
Just curious as to what this is. It's growing upright...
nikkidemartini
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™