Let's Play Weed/No Weed - Round 1

chaudkMay 17, 2012

After buying a home with a very neglected garden, I am on round three or so of clearing the weeds and need some help identifying if these are weeds or not. Because I had quite a few, I uploaded them to flickr, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to 14 photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Stars: seeds from an Ornithogalum species? Is there a bulb underneath?
Methinksweed:Prickly Lettuce, or another weed that looks very simolar. White milky sap when you break a leaf?
IDK2: looks like Buddleia. Woody stem? Probably Buddleia.
I think weed: Either a Ribes species or Humulus species. Either way, likely a weed.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:28AM
chaudk

Thanks Dzitmoidonc - that helps - I will dig down further on the stars and see if there is a bulb and compare the IDK2 to images of buddleia (and pull the weeds, of course).

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:59AM
budbackeast(FLORIDA)

Congratulations on your new home. IMHO, you might just want to clear the yard of everything and begin anew. Build your own little paradise!
I DID!
Nursing along suspicious plants of unknown varieties is usually unfulfilling. Use your imagination and engineer your own dream yard. It isn't that hard, and done right, will bring you great happiness.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 3:29PM
chaudk

thanks budbackeast; I considered that and am not quite going that far, but I am to the point that I am going to pull anything suspicious. There are lots of tulips and roses and a big patch of artichokes that are easily identified so am keeping those and anything else that I can easily separate from being weed.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 3:29PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Keep in mind that "weeds" are plants you do not want growing where you do not want them. So one persons "weed" may be anothers desireable plant. One example is "Goutweed", "Bishops Weed", "Snow in the Mountain", "Aegopodium podagraria" that some consider an invasive "weed" while others consider it an attractive ground cover.
Some plants many consider "weeds", Dandelions, Plantain, etc., are grown by others as food crops. Sometimes asking 10 people whether this plant is a "weed" will often get you 15 different answers.
If you don't want that plant growing where it is growing it is a "weed" and you can get rid of it. Is a self seeded Forget Me Not growing in a crack in the sidewalk a "weed" or not?

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 7:26AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Determining whether a plant is native vs. invasive in the sense that it is not native is objective. Many plants whether native or not are called invasive in regard to their behavior for not being a desirable plant in a garden setting. It's necessary from the context of the sentence to determine which meaning of the word "invasive" applies to that info. Is your goal to have only native plants? Or are all well-behaved plants welcome? Determining from that point what will live in your yard or not is where gardening becomes subjective.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Questions about Imazapyr and trees
Hey there. I recently used a product called RM43 to...
Emily Berg
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Eliminator brand weed killer
Has anyone tried the Eliminator brand weed/grass killer...
trh701
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Blue Wool Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Reversible Resort Cotton Bath Rug
$29.95 | FRONTGATE
Ornate Hand Hammered Copper Bowl
$54.99 | Dot & Bo
Congress 29 1/2" Wide Clear Glass Chrome Bath Fixture
Lamps Plus
Athens 7-pc. Rectangular Outdoor Dining Set, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Glacier Point Satin Nickel Two-Light Island Light
$220.40 | Bellacor
CueStix Twist 8 Pool Cue Floor Rack - FRTWIST CHOCOLATE