burn oleander?

fireant(z8TX)May 15, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I come here often to get answers on what might work or not in our yard but this is the first time I have ever posted. I just chopped out a large oleander that I'm pretty sure has leaf scorch. I don't have a chipper and there is no dump around here. Could I safely burn a small amount at a time mixed with some cedar? Most of the leaves a brown but the trunks are still green. We live in the country so there are no close neighbors.

Thanks,

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Are the fumes from burning Oleanders hazardous? Yes! The fumes from a burning Oleander is still very hazardous. Good thing you asked! EEKK! PJ

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 4:09PM
mommyfox(7)

I'd just bag it and put it out with the trash. Not as environmentally good, but much better than burning it (fumes = not good) or composting a diseased plant.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 4:50PM
fool4flowers(8)

I agree put it out with the trash. No sense taking chances since the fumes are very toxic.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 10:49PM
kentuck_8b(__)

We burn ours all the time, but then we have no close neighbours and we are cautious not to inhale any smoke directly.

The big worry is breathing in burning poison ivy...very bad.

Kt

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 10:40PM
fireant(z8TX)

Thanks for everyone's help on this.
I sure wish I had seen your post Kt before we buried the stuff. I don't understand how they keep selling oleander with an untreatable disease spreading everywhere and it being such a pain to get rid of the things once they die.
Thanks again,
Michelle

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 3:25PM
missinformation

Yikes is right - be very, very careful if you burn it.

If any of you are into true crime books, track one down called Chop Shop. Guy offed his enemies with a drip of oleander in their drinks!

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 10:46AM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Michele, where are you located?. We do not have any oleander diease in Rockport, yet. I heard last Sunday on Bob Websters garden show, that if you spray 3% perodixe straight from the bottle, it has excellent results on Oleander leaf scorch. Barbra,

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 12:08PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I cut some damaged Oleander wood back here and it never developed burn again here in DFW. PJ

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 7:44PM
fireant(z8TX)

We live about 30 miles north of San Antonio. Our oleander (white one) started dropping leaves last year and then the leaves on whole large branches dried up and turned a grayish brown. I cut back the damaged parts and new leaves would grow but then they would die too. This year most all the plant turned gray brown even the new growth just coming out. From all that I read I figured it was time to replace it. Getting those roots out was no small job. I was thinking the longer I let it stand there sick, more bugs would carry the disease to other plants. We planted glossy abelia in it's place. It is supposed to be a pretty tough plant and I like that it flowers all spring and summer. I'm glad yall's oleanders are healthy but it was just too much for this one.
Michelle

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 11:48AM
mnktx(9)

Saw one of those crime shows a few weeks back and an older lady got tired of her husband ignoring her and figured if he was going to complain, she was going to give him something to complain about and bought some oleander bushes, chopped up parts of it and brewed some tea. He got very sick but recovered. She did it again and again and I don't recall if he eventually died or if she just got caught but in either case it took a lot more than a single flower. We removed ours on behalf of the dogs. Just lopped it into pieces and bagged it. They would have made a lot of compost and kindling but felt it was better just to bag it.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 12:29PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

I heard a story of some boy scouts dying after they roasted their hot dogs, on the branch from a oleander. I do not know if it is true, but it sure scared me. Barbra,

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Native Plant Suggestions
This both a gardening and a social issue. I have a...
Redthistle
Scarlet's Peak Yaupon as Privacy Hedge?
Is anyone using this holly? Although relatively new,...
tamgirl99
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Need ballpark figure for irrigation
We recently put in a pool. Pool, landscaper, irrigation...
emrld444
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
Sponsored Products
Peony Everyday Mason Jar Candle
$12.99 | zulily
Electri-Chef Island 16 in. Built-In Electric Grill - 4400-EC-224-I-16IN
Hayneedle
KOHLER Kitchen Cape Dory Self-Rimming Cast Iron 22 in. 4-Hole Single Bowl
Home Depot
Large Violet Swirl Optic Night Light Hurricane Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Vintage Vase Candle in Christmas Day
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Amerelle Under Cabinet Lighting Line Voltage Xenon White Pucks (5-pack)
$24.29 | Home Depot
SunJel 24-pack
Overstock.com
Cream Peacock Bench - CREAM
$1,499.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™