Wood Sorrel

mtgs(6)May 30, 2012

Does anyone have the weed wood sorrel they'd be willing to share for a SASE?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

There are many weeds called sorrel. You may want to seek plants by their botanical names, or at least link to a pic of what you want for assured accuracy. Curious about your desire to grow this, as I'm sure following readers will be... I'll be the first to ask - why?

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:53AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are a large number of plants known as "Sorrel" and many known as "wood Sorrel". Many people consider Yellow Wood Sorrel an noxious "weed" and do everything possible to eliminate it. Some sorrels, French for example, are grown as food crops while others, Sheep sorrels, are eradicted as noxious weeds.
So which Wood Sorrel are you seeking?

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 8:13AM
mtgs(6)

The wood sorrel I'm looking for is oxalis stricta.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 8:10AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Yellow Wood Sorrel, which grows so prolifically around here I have never given a thought to saving seeds. The birds do a good job of delivering seed that I don't need to think about saving any. Most everyone I know considers this a "weed" and yanks them out as soon as they are seen, most often before they produce seed.
There may be some of the Wild Flower seed sellers that have seeds for this.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 7:54AM
budbackeast(FLORIDA)

Yes, it is an unpopular but tasty plant. As a boy, we drove this plant extinct on our country land because we six kids loved the sour taste.

There was another plant we called sorrel, but a very different plant, with a tall stalk, which we also loved. Very sour. Either red sorrel or sheep sorrel. Good times. Used to trespass to get more.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 4:39AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

mtgs, theoretically it should be easy to collect seeds at the right time from neighborhood, parks, country roads, that kind of thing. But I know from experience that when one goes seed-hunting for some wild thing, the seeds are already gone or it's usually the one plant you can't find although you noted its' abundance in the area before. But, of course, being a weed, it's sneaky and has disguised/camouflaged itself, right? Not seen any around this area, sorry I can't help. Good luck!

Interesting how our culture has let chemical/grass/seed/lawn companies, farmers, golf courses, and even some gardening groups tell us some native food plants are weeds, and believed it. There are some good books on this subject. Anyone interested is welcome to email me.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™