grass in tree bed + weeding a straight line?

rschmittyMay 17, 2009

So, new to gardening.. I've got a row of arborvitae which the normal lawn grass and crab grass has invaded the bed.

The previous owner has a metal barrier (which is now overgrown by the grass) that surrounds the tree bed. I'm trying to re-establish this line (shown in red)

My other concern is the root system of the trees. I started weeding with a small tool and felt like I was just breaking tree roots. I've searched this weed forum and for the most part people say the weed killer will break down in the soil and not harm the tree, but my concern is how shallow these roots are. Is this dept of roots normal? Still all clear to use a spray to kill?

Question 2: Any tips of weeding in a straight line so I keep my lawn and kill only the grass in the bed

Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

I have yet to see any kind of barrier that works really well to keep grass out of a planting bed because the grass will often simply grow over that barrier if it is not, periodically, raised to prevent that. Work on cleaning the edging around that bed and cover the grass, crabgrass included, with newspaper and cover the newspaper with a good mulch (to hide the paper and help hold it in place) and don't worry about any poison to control that grass.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 8:08AM
gailey

You need to remove the metal edging. Kimmsr is correct, there is no effective barrier. Any form or artificial edging will just give you a false sense of security.

you then need to cut in a deep v shaped trench along the line in your photo. Hand weed out the grass in the tree bed.

Religiously maintain your cut edge to the lawn. Trim it once a week without fail, preferably with sharp long handled lawn edging shears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bahco Lawn Edge Shears

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 1:25AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A trench canbe an effective barrier to grass growing into a flower bed, if your soil allows that barrier to exist. Sand does not and will simply flow back into the trench about as fast as you cut it. In clay soils it can work and can be very effective, but like mulches some people do not like the look.

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™