'Dragonfly gardens'

leaveswave(.)May 4, 2006

Are there plants that would help attract more dragonflies to my yard, or is it all about the water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Dragonflies are predator insects, but thankfully they are not interested in people, only other insects. They feed on aquatic insects when they are developing underwater, and they feed on mosquitos after they have emerged from the water and spread their wings. From what I have read, dragonflies need clean water, so, anything that can be done to maintain the quality of the water in your local streams would be helpful in increasing the dragonfly population. I suppose that you could try and breed mosquitos as dragonfly food, or maybe it would be better to avoid spraying for mosquitos, and just let nature take its course.

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 11:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huachuma

Dragonflies and Damselflies do like areas with clean water. They also like to rest on isolated tall plants to hunt their prey/protect their territories. We have horsetails and cattails, (contained, due to their invasive nature), that the male Dragonflies love. We also have a juniper with a dead branch at the top that the hummingbirds and Dragonflies fight over. Surprisingly, sometimes the Dragonflies win. Since you live in Minnesota, I doubt you have to worry about an insect food source for them; should be plenty of mosquitos, mayflies and gnats available...

Mike

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
Water Wiggler?
I'm setting up a garden in my small urban backyard....
hgalindo
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™