Controlled burn for loosestrife?

brainiacgirlstlMay 19, 2009

I am at my absolute wits end.

We bought my mother's house 2 years ago. She was a gardener but back problems kept her from tending her garden for about 5 years so it basically went wild. There are some perennials still growing but the yard is gradually being swallowed by gooseneck loosestrife. I have tried literally everything to get rid of this. Roundup, mowing, boiling water, hand pulling, smothering, etc. The back yard is approximately 1/3 acre and the loosestrife is covering about 75% at this point.

I know that it spreads by runners underground which is probably why my efforts have been pretty much in vain.

County extention had no help to offer other than what I've already done, since this is not considered a noxious weed in my area. (It is basically an escaped ornamental.)

I am willing to sacrifice the good plants to start over without loosestrife. My question is, will a controlled burn kill underground runners or damage the plant to the point runners will eventually die?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Burning will kill the top growth but will not harm the roots at all unless you could find a way to hold the heat in the soil long enough for it to reach down where the roots are. That would be difficult since soil dissipates heat quite effectively.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
Neglected Yard
I moved into a house last winter and the yard seems...
reemlarki
What is the name of this ugly ivy growing in my yard???!!!?
Its almost all over my lawn well in the bk yard its...
ashleyq2222
Sponsored Products
Set of Two Four Seasons Blackout Curtain Panels
Grandin Road
Progress Lighting CounterBrite White 1-Light Under cabinet Fixture P7533-30WB
$48.60 | Home Depot
Kohler Toobi Polished Chrome Tall Single-control Lavatory Faucet
Overstock.com
White Happy Wall Sconce
$210.00 | Bellacor
George Kovacs Honey Gold LED Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Euro Style Lighting